100% Elderberries (60g)
Homemade Elderberry Syrup
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Cooling time: 5-10 minutes Makes: 480ml Syrup
You can easily make elderberry syrup using only water + elderberries + honey for a healthy and delicious syrup. It is NOT necessary to add any other ingredients
- 50g dried elderberries (or half cup)
- 480ml water (or 2 cups)
- 1 cinnamon stick (or ½ tsp ground cinnamon)
- 3 whole cloves
- freshly squeezed juice from half a lemon
- ½ cup raw honey
- Measure out the elderberries
- Place elderberries + water + cinnamon + cloves in a saucepan. Gently bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15/20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain the mixture into another saucepan or a heat-resistant bowl using a mesh strainer. Gently squeeze the berries with the back of a spoon to get out as much juice as possible.
- Discard the berries and spices, and let the liquid cool down a bit.
- Once it cools down to a comfortable lukewarm temperature, add raw honey and mix well. (If you add raw honey to something hot, you’ve basically just killed the honey…)
- Add fresh lemon juice and stir.
- Pour the syrup into jars or bottles of your choice – refrigerate – consume